Monday, September 10, 2007

Motif Twentyone--A Failed Attempt

I picked up some special varigated DMC embroidery floss at Hobby Lobby a while back. I forget its name, but it had very attractive soft colors. (I separated the floss into 2 ply to tat with it.) At the same time, I got some Bead Treasures beads which are like a batch of varigated colors--blues, purple, green, bronze--all together in the tube. The beads and the thread looked great next to each other. Unfortunately, I did not choose an appropriate pattern.
If you are going to be putting beads on picots, make sure the picots are not too close together.
The beads are bumping into each other, making it hard for the piece to lie flat, and overwhelming the delicate thread color. (It looks better in the scan than real life.) On top of that, my tension was not even, so one wing is bigger than the other. This was originally supposed to be for the Palmetto competition, but I was unhappy with it and left it at home. If I ever get around to the blue jean bag challenge, this would be a good piece for that.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my! What a beautiful failure! I understand what you're saying about beads and picots, and about the piece lying flat, but I am still very impressed. I think it will be beautiful on your bag!