Tuesday, May 23, 2017

I'm Back





I had promised myself that I would get back to blogging once I got my life back under control. Things were looking good earlier in the year, but then they fell apart again when autistic DS3's group home closed down with only a few days notice.  That seemed like a disaster at first, but was a blessing in disguise.  Late last month he moved to a home for autistic adults that is better in every way than where he was before.  It's not local, but I can get there with Amtrak.  Last weekend, the whole family got together to give him a day out. We went hiking at Eno River Park  and out to lunch. Then to make it something for everyone, we went to a gaming store for the guys, and to Scrap Exchange for the girls. That's sort of a huge secondhand store geared toward crafting.  I bought stuff. Beware the giant bin of buttons :)



For a long time, I didn't do any tatting. Though tatting is an excellent stress reliever for most, above a certain level I just can't do it. Eventually I was ready to begin again, and I wanted something very old fashioned and traditional.  I saw this image on Pinterest and thought it was something vintage, but I tracked it down to "Practical Tatting" by Phyllis Sparks from the early 1990's.
A quick trip to Bookfinders.com and I was in business.  The yoke is made up of bunches of traditional style motifs.  I was making good progress and then got sidetracked to another old fashioned project. More about that next time,  maybe.


Meanwhile, it's time to be thinking about TatDays in Toccoa.  Registration will be opening around June 11.  I haven't chosen all my classes yet. Decisions are hard. The logo above is by Anitra, one of those magazine covers she is so good at designing.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that yoke is amazing. Interesting that it is not as old as it looks. I hope you'll go on tatting and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds like a nice place and great day for all and everyone is happy too. I love buttons and my daughter and I have a button problem too :) I love your tatting project idea sounds like fun and one of my favorites is to make the old stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear from you! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see you back. Hope all the troubles are behind you now.
    So much to learn from you and be inspired by you.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, nice to see you back blogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see a post from you! Maybe I should open a similar crafting shop. I have more supplies than I can really use, but I do enjoy collecting goodies! Buttons? I love buttons! I'm off to my book shelf to see if I have that Phyllis Sparks book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So VERY good to see you're back. I had been checking on you discretely, via Jane. And so glad that DS3 is in a good place - what a blessing and a mercy!
    S

    ReplyDelete