Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Motif Seventeen--More Tiny Thread

Here is another teapot, this one worked with King Tut quilting thread. I wish I had measured it or put something else in the picture to give an indication of size before I gave it away. It's probably 2 1/2" wide. This thread isn't quite as forgiving as the cordonette for retro-tatting, but it is still a great thread to work with.

Tatting with tiny thread isn't as hard as you might think. (I remember my trepidation the first time I decided to try size 30 after learning how with size 10.) For these tiny threads, I need my reading glasses to count the stitches, but, heck, I need them for most "average" threads now too. Joining into a tiny space like a lock join requires a very small crochet hook, but for routine joins into picots, the hook on the Aero works fine. For making your tatting, you are working around the thread wound over your left hand, so that part is the same no matter what the thread size. It's much easier than crochet with small thread, with trying to stick the hook into each tiny stitch. If you can work with size 30, you can probably work with size 70 too, and if you can work with that, then the size 100 and quilting threads shouldn't be any problem either. Try gradually stepping down in size and see what you can do.

I got my King Tut from Deb Arnold at DS-9 Designs: http://www.ds9designs.com/index.html

8 comments:

  1. Another beautiful little teapot! I really like King Tut thread, but I've never completed anything... just played around. Do I see a teapot book in the works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and thank you for the link for the thread. I've ordered earring kits from DS9Designs before, but not their threads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I would like to know where you got the patterns for the tea pots or are they your own? I would just love to do a teapot myself! It probably won't turn out as good as your's, but I would like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on a teapot book. Or supposed to be, I keep getting sidetracked....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your teapots are very pretty. I would be interested in this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd also be interested in the Tea Pot pattern! Get to that book! LOL That one is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's amazing, I can't imagine ever tatting in so fine a thread.
    Simple beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just in love with your teapot and I have been searching and can not find a pattern for one. Could you please tell me where yours came from and if I can possibly get the pattern? Sorry, I just took the time to read other comments and saw what you wrote about the book. I have your other one and would be glad to buy another, hint, hint, But, just in case the pattern is available I would like to know if it is or not!

    ReplyDelete