Monday, May 14, 2012

Guy Stuff Day -- Army Heritage Center


On our previous whirlwind trips to New York, we would be barrelling down the highway, and all of a sudden, there would be this HELICOPTER by the side of the road. And we would say "WHAT was THAT?" as it quickly faded into the distance. So for our most recent trip to the Finger Lakes Tatting meet, DH said to me, "Find me that helicopter by the side of the road. I think it was in Pennsylvania." He is usually very patient about being dragged to tatting events, so I am glad to schedule a "guy stuff" day on our trips when I can. (Just our term, and not trying to be a female chauvanist. It is perfectly OK for girls to like this too.)

Surprisingly enough, "helicopter by the road in Pennsylvania" did not produce any useful links in Google. But with a little perseverence, I found the Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle, PA.
Their Heritage Trail has plenty of exhibits, from the French Indian War up to present day Afghanistan.  Here is a reconstruction of a redoubt from the Battle of Yorktown...
and some Civil War cabins...


... a World War I trench...


and,er, more tanks and stuff.






Even I had a good time walking around.  In fact, we spent so much time walking outside that we didnt even go inside the building.  Something else for another trip, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a pretty cool stop. If we ever make it back that far east we'll try to stop in and check it out. My hubby would really like it, and I wouldn't mind it, either. I'll have to show your pictures to him later.

    ReplyDelete