Thursday, September 07, 2023

Palmetto Projects


In an all-time record, I finished my Palmetto Tat-Days projects the evening I arrived home.  And then it is taking weeks and weeks for me to show them to you.

Up top are 2 classes with Karey Solomon.  The 3-D strawberry has an emery filling to help keep needles clean and untarnished, like the strawberry attachment on old-time tomato-shaped pincushions. Remember those? You could make one with regular stuffing if you don't have emery type materials on hand. The ice drop spider was a lot of fun, and the floating spiral chains were a useful technique to learn.  The legs are sticking out every which-way, and I could probably wet them and tame them into position, but that would be, you know, efficient.

Sharren Morgan's ornament class had a choice of 2 snowflakes and a wreath, which I made in unwreathlike colors, but will look good on my miniature white and gold Christmas tree.  I look forward to making the other ornaments in the class handout.  The wire tatting class with Kelli Slack was also fun, and something different.  The class assignment was just to get comfortable working with the wire and make rings and joins. I have more wire to play with later.

You will note that I have only 4 projects here.  I was teaching the other 3 class periods.  I have printed many of the other class lessons to make later.

You can go to the Palmetto website and see all the class projects and purchase all the class handouts as a digital download.  I recommend it.

 

7 comments:

  1. Love the 3D projects especially. You learnt a lot, taught a lot, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects look great! I've purchased the patterns, but have not started on any of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always interesting to learn new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic models! It's a shame some techniques get lost over time. Good to see them revived through enticing designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wire tatting has me so intimidated! How do you not break the thin wires with all that bending?
    I'm adding it to the list of tatting skills I want to aquire right now! 😁💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wire is quite strong as long as you don't get any kinks in it. I think the wire we were using was around a 32 gauge. Kelli recommended using Aero/Aerlit shuttles as the round bobbins would put the least stress on the wire. There is a book, "Tatting with Copper Wire" by Carolyn Regnier. I bought my copy from Twisted Picot. Be sure to put band-aids or tape on your fingers so the wire doesn't cut in.

      Delete